Mediator and Arbitrator
Alternative Dispute Resolution (including Arbitration and Mediation) has been and continues to be used in the Courts to resolve many different types of legal proceedings.
Leona Beane serves as a Mediator and also as an Arbitrator in various types of proceedings for several different forums. These are very efficient methods of resolving disputes; sometimes it is in conjunction with a Court proceeding, sometimes it is done to resolve a Court proceeding, and sometimes it is utilized when there is a dispute among the parties before litigation and before a Court proceeding.
Leona Beane has written in this area and is very active. She serves on the Executive Committee of the New York State Bar Association’s Dispute Resolution Section, and is Chair of its Sub-Committee on Mediating Trusts, Estates, Guardianship and the Elderly Disputes.
She was inducted as a Charter Member of the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals.
She is the Author of Chapter 26 on Mediation for the New York State Bar Association’s New York Lawyers Deskbook (chapter is updated each year). This chapter is also incorporated in the New York State Bar Association’s New York Lawyers Practical Skills Series on Arbitration and Mediation.
Leona has completed extensive mediation trainings (over 300 hours with several different well-known providers including Decision Tree Analysis). She has mediated 300 plus disputes of all types.
- She served as Chair of the ADR Committee at New York County Lawyers Association for four (4) years.
- She has Chaired and Co-Chaired several CLE Programs relating to ADR, including Ethics in ADR, Mediation Advocacy Skills, Beyond Impasse, and others.
- She Co-Chaired the very successful ‘Basics of Trusts & Estates Mediation’.
- She was a panel participant in the CLE program ‘Estate Litigation in the New York County Surrogate’s Court: Resolving Family Disputes Through Mediation’ on February 25, 2014 (at the Surrogate’s Court).
- Some recent writings include: “What is Mediation and How Does It Work?” (N.Y.L.J., Oct. 29, 2007, pg 4); “Utilizing Mediation to Resolve Estate Litigation” (NYSBA Trusts and Estates Law, Fall 2008, pg. 7); “What Is the Extent of Confidentiality in Mediation After Hauzinger?” ( NYSBA Dispute Resolution Lawyer, Fall 2008, pg 26); “Mediation and Estate Litigation” (NYSBA Disp. Resl. L. 2009, pg 52).
Leona Beane serves as a Mediator and also as an Arbitrator in various types of ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution) proceedings for several different forums including:
- Arbitrator, Financial Industry Regulation Authority (FINRA); previously New York Stock Exchange and National Association of Securities Dealers (NASD)
- Arbitrator, National Futures Association
- Mediator and Arbitrator, U.S. District Court, Eastern District
- Mediator and Arbitrator, U.S. District Court, Sandy Storm Disputes Program with Insurance Companies
- Mediator, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, US. District Court, Eastern District & Southern District.
- Mediator, Safe Horizon (certified by New York State)
- Arbitrator, Civil Court, Small Claims Court (more than 20 years)
- Mediator, U.S. District Court, Southern District
- Mediator, Appellate Division, 1st Department, Pre-Argument Appeals
- Mediator and Arbitrator, Attorney Fee Disputes, 1st Department
- Mediator, New Jersey Superior Courts
Mediator, North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission (General cases and guardianship/probate cases) certified Mediator
- Mediator, Surrogate’s Court, New York County (Pilot Mediation Program)
- Mediator, Commercial Division of Supreme Court, New York and Queens Counties